Trusted And Experienced
Maryland Client Advocates Since 1950

Maryland medical malpractice: mold possibly contributed to deaths

It is not unreasonable for a patient to expect that, when required to endure a hospital stay, his or her room will be clean and free from any substance that may worsen his or her condition. Unfortunately, there are numerous cases, in Maryland and elsewhere, of patients getting sick or even dying from infections acquired during their time spent in hospitals. When this happens, these individuals or — in the event of fatality — their surviving family members may seek compensation for their losses by litigating medical malpractice claims.

It was recently reported that at least two patients in another state have died, possibly due to a mold outbreak at the hospital where they were receiving treatments. A third patient is believed to have become ill because of the same issue. All of the patients were staying in the facility’s cardiothoracic intensive care unit following transplant procedures. The two individuals who died had both received heart transplants before contracting the fungal infections that are believed to have contributed to their deaths.

The unit in question has since been closed while the hospital investigates the matter. It has been reported that mold issues have been a problem at this particular facility since 2014. Of the three patients recently affected, each had received treatments in the same room. Upon careful inspection of this specific room mold was found in the wall, and a further search of the unit resulted in mold findings in other sections of the ICU.

When a known issue is not properly reported or immediately tended to, patients lives are put at risk. Those in Maryland who believe they are the victims of, or have lost loved ones to, hospital acquired infections may have legal recourse. Medical malpractice claims may be filed against those believed responsible. Legal filings that are handled successfully may be awarded damages through trial or settlement.

Source:, “UPMC: 2 patients might have died in mold outbreak at Presbyterian“, Ben Schmitt, Sept. 17, 2015